Tuesday, December 12, 2006

the pop-up Bible

Listen, I apologize for this, but I'm going to be ridiculously Bible-y for a minute.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my life of late, particularly in light of a couple of opportunities that have come my way - almost - and the one quite noticeable thing that keeps happening is that I keep having verses or passages of Scripture pop into my head.

The first one was Jeremiah 6:16. I had a good long think about that one, and determined a number of interesting things:

1) it says "stand" which, in context, implies you've been moving up till then, and that you have to stop and wait.
2) it says "look"... if you're at a crossroads and you look, where else are you looking but down each fork to figure out what the best option is. It also doesn't say "run down one and if it doesn't work run down the other." HA... it's just occured to me that a crossroads is usually not more than one intersection, and it's not actually a fork in the road, it's in fact somewhere where you have to take a strong left or right. It's a perpendicular, and you have to switch from going N/S to going E/W (or vice versa). HMN.
3) it also says "ask," so I've been doing a lot of that. What am I supposed to do? Help me be patient. Help me figure out what You want from me. Help me see what the best option is.
4) it does NOT say, "you will find financial freedom," or indeed fame or even necessarily an easy road ahead. All that it says is "find rest for your souls." Some years ago - and I should find it - I actually wrote that "my life is a quest for peace." That was really the core of who I am. So this is even more pertinent, yes?

Soon I'll come back and tell you about three others: Isaiah 43:19, Judges 7 (the bit about Gideon), and Jeremiah 29:11, which has been today's mental popup.
Turns out the prophets are big for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh yes What the prophet says....I found this to be all very timely and mystical that you would remind me of a song I penned "how many years ago!!?" so I looked up your blog and have again floundered my way through the words of this prophet and am floored...I forgot about the standing, the ancient pathways and the asking...so I am going to be doing lots of that in the weeks to come...I have been at a crossroad...thanks for the kickstart! By the way...congrats on welcoming another beauty into our beautiful world...she looks lovely...don't worry sleep will come...we have a 12 and 7 year old and its MORE than powerfully good ...parenting confounds me then it changes and molds me into a better human being everyday!!! I am posting 'Sam's Song'(written for our daughter) off my second disc for you...check it out...
peace back to you. Phoebe. also...indebted for the link to Lily Frost...loved her stuff..wow.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home